Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Gift Box with 3D Flower

After winning the August challenge at Get Funky with this Gift Bag I was inspired to make something for the September Challenge of a 'Fabulous Funky Floral Fantasy' which must include 3D flowers. Although I make many things my current obsession is papercrafting, mainly cardmaking with a bit of scrapbooking thrown in, but for this challenge I decided to make a box.
I used a collection from 'Colour Me Happy' which appealed to me because it included my favourite colour green. The small flowery paper and the plainish green for the box and lid were printed on 300g white card and for the flower I used 120g paper, printed in pale pink on the front and pale green on the reverse.
I made my own template for the box but took inspiration from one I saw a couple of years ago for the flap-closure. It's the same on the bottom but has been glued together. An hexagonal piece of card with a ribbon loop goes inside before closing the flaps to keep the box rigid.
I could have stuck the flower directly on top of the box but thought that it would get spoiled when opening, so I made a lid to go on top. My first effort was a bit snug - well too small really - so this is version two ( I 'll now have to make another box to go with the first lid - can't throw it away).
For the flower I made a template, then one slightly smaller and a third even smaller and cut two of each to give six layers. These were sprayed with water, scrunched up, dried with heat gun then scrunched again, then I added pink chalk to the edges and made a frilly bit for the middle before spraying with 'Spray and Sparkle'. After attaching it to the box lid I stuck three small green gems in the center to finish it off.

FINISHED BOX



BOX SHOWING FLAP CLOSURE



THREE PIECES



CLOSE UP OF FLOWER



Items Used

Papers - 'Colour Me Happy' Seaweed Smiler collection
from Funky Hand
Spray & Sparkle - Crafters Companion
Ribbon/Gems - own stash

I'm entering this in the following:-

Get Funky September Challenge - 'Fabulous Funky Floral Fantasy'
A Spoon Full of Sugar Challenge 122 -'Anything Goes'
Secret Crafter Challenge # 101 - 'Anything Goes'

Thanks for looking,
Lynn x





7 comments:

  1. wow this is stunning lynn.gorgeous colours and fab shape.i love your flower on the top :)

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so gorgeous Lunn, love the colour combo and the flower is amazing :o)
    Take care Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh this is just so special and beautiful lynn, i love the way it opens up. thank you for getting funky with us this month! hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynn

    Your creation is so lovely. What a great idea!!

    The flower on the top of your box is stunning. How clever of you to make your own templates.

    Thank you for joining in with Get Funky! again this month.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a pretty box and gorgeous flower
    Thanks for playing along at Get Funky this month
    AllisonX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic box!! And the flower is wonderful! Thanks for entering the Get Funky! Challenge – hope you can join us again next month! Get Funky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your box is just stunning - thank you for joining in with Get Funky! this month

    ReplyDelete

 

hydroxycut recall